- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Unknown artist
silver medal, 1768
2 1/4 in. (57 mm) diameter
Sitterback to top
- John Wilkes (1725-1797), Journalist, agitator and politician; MP for Aylesbury and Middlesex. Sitter associated with 49 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Issued following Wilkes's arrest for the publication of edition No.45 of his newspaper, The North Briton, in which Ministers were attacked as 'tools of despotism and corruption'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 483
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 662
Events of 1768back to top
Current affairsWilliam Pitt the Elder retires as Prime Minister due to ill health and is succeeded by Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton.
Radical outlaw John Wilkes returns to England from France and is elected as MP for Middlesex. He finally surrenders to the King's Bench and is imprisoned.
Art and scienceThe Royal Academy is founded with painter Joshua Reynolds as its first president.
Encyclopaedia Britannica begins publication in Edinburgh. It appears in weekly instalments under the editorship of William Smellie.
Philip Astley stages the first modern circus in what is now Waterloo.
Laurence Sterne publishes A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy.
InternationalCaptain James Cook leads his first expedition to the Pacific from Plymouth, heading for Tahiti to observe the transit of Venus.
Boston citizens refuse to quarter British troops amidst growing unrest in the American colonies
Corsica is sold to France by the Republic of Genoa.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
29 March, 12:30