King William III
1 portrait of King William III
- Extended Catalogue Entry
King William III
studio of Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, based on a work of circa 1677
49 in. x 39 3/4 in. (1245 mm x 1010 mm) overall
Sitterback to top
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 141 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 842 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
One of a number of copies of Lely's portrait painted in England at the time of William's marriage.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 324
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 663
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 60, 155
Events of 1677back to top
Current affairsSpeech by George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, arguing that the prolonged prorogation of the Cavalier Parliament rendered it dissolved, sends him and three others, including Philip Wharton, Baron Wharton, to the Tower.
Stadtholder, Prince William of Orange, marries Mary, daughter of James, Duke of York and Anne Hyde.
Art and scienceThe Natural History of Oxfordshire, (1676) by naturalist and antiquary Robert Plot, secures his election to the Royal Society in December and two years later, appointment as curator of objects to the objects bequeathed to Oxford University by Elias Ashmole.
InternationalDespite his dismissal from court in 1669, royalist soldier and statesman, James Butler, Duke of Ormond, is reappointed lord lieutenant of Ireland.
See this portrait
On display in Room 8 at the National Portrait Gallery
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer