3 of 20 portraits of Peg Woffington
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1758
35 1/2 in. x 42 in. (902 mm x 1067 mm)
Given by Sir Theodore Martin, 1881
Sitterback to top
- Margaret ('Peg') Woffington (1720?-1760), Actress. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This unusual sick-bed portrait shows the celebrated Irish actress 'Peg' Woffington, after she collapsed on stage and was paralysed in 1757. During the previous twenty years she had made her name in comedy. She was notorious for bitter rivalries with other actresses - even stabbing one during a performance - and for her love affair with Britain's leading actor, David Garrick. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1758back to top
Current affairsComet observed in previous centuries returns exactly at the time predicted by astronomer Edmond Halley and is subsequently known by his name.
Art and scienceLiverpool-born artist George Stubbs sets up in London as a painter.
James Woodforde, an English country parson, begins a detailed diary of everyday life, which is later published as Diary of a Country Parson.
InternationalSeven Years' War: British General John Forbes captures the strategic French stronghold Fort Duquesne and renames it Pittsburgh after British Secretary of State, William Pitt the Elder. British troops capture Louisbourg, Nova Scotia.
Pope Clement XIII succeeds Pope Benedict XIV as the 248th pope.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- 2020 Anniversaries
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.