by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1589-1595, based on a work of circa 1520
33 in. x 22 in. (838 mm x 559 mm) arched top
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Wolsey (1470 or 1471-1530), Cardinal and statesman. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
This portraitback to top
All surviving portraits of Wolsey derive from the same pattern, which depicts him wearing cardinal's robes and holding a scroll. This version was commissioned by Ralph Sheldon as part of a set of portraits of his house in Warwickshire in around 1520.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Smartify image discovery app
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 38
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 15
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 15
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 675
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 129,335
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1520back to top
Current affairsThe 'Field of Cloth of Gold' - an elaborately staged meeting between the courts of King Henry VIII and Francis I of France takes place near Calais.
Art and scienceThe German gunsmith Gaspard Kotter invents rifling in the barrels of firearms, improving their range and accuracy.
InternationalThe German Protestant reformer Martin Luther publicly burns the Papal bull Exsurge Domine (Arise, O Lord), written in response to his 95 Theses. Luther is subsequently excommunicated.
The Stockholm Bloodbath - Danish troops massacre Swedish nobles and churchmen opposed to the rule of Christian II of Denmark.
Death of Selim I and succession of Suleiman I as Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints