1 of 8223 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Words and inscriptions'
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1589-1595, based on a work of circa 1520
33 in. x 22 in. (838 mm x 559 mm) arched top
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Wolsey (1470 or 1471-1530), Cardinal and statesman. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
This portraitback to top
All surviving portraits of Wolsey derive from the same pattern, which depicts him wearing cardinal's robes and holding a scroll. This version was commissioned by Ralph Sheldon as part of a set of portraits of his house in Warwickshire in around 1520.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Smartify image discovery app
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 38
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 15
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 15
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 675
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 129,335
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1520back to top
Current affairsThe 'Field of Cloth of Gold' - an elaborately staged meeting between the courts of King Henry VIII and Francis I of France takes place near Calais.
Art and scienceThe German gunsmith Gaspard Kotter invents rifling in the barrels of firearms, improving their range and accuracy.
InternationalThe German Protestant reformer Martin Luther publicly burns the Papal bull Exsurge Domine (Arise, O Lord), written in response to his 95 Theses. Luther is subsequently excommunicated.
The Stockholm Bloodbath - Danish troops massacre Swedish nobles and churchmen opposed to the rule of Christian II of Denmark.
Death of Selim I and succession of Suleiman I as Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 28 June
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
Until 1 May
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
Until 1 March
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
19 February, 12:30