Sir Christopher Wray
Sir Christopher Wray
after Unknown artist
oil on canvas, 17th century, based on a work of 1582
24 in. x 19 in. (610 mm x 483 mm)
Bequeathed by William Thomas Snosswell, 1908
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 679
Events of 1582back to top
Current affairsRaid of Ruthven - King James VI of Scotland is kidnapped by a group of Presbyterian nobles, led by William Ruthven, Earl of Gowrie. The plotters rule Scotland for ten months with the approval of Queen Elizabeth I and the Scottish Kirk.
Art and scienceThe courtier, poet and soldier Sir Philip Sidney writes Astrophil and Stella, a collection of love sonnets and songs, and A Defence of Poetry, one of the first pieces of literary criticism in English.
Death of the scholar George Buchanan and posthumous publication of his history of Scotland, Rerum Scoticarum historia (Histories of Scottish Matters).
The poet and dramatist William Shakespeare marries Anne Hathaway.
InternationalThe Gregorian Calendar (named after Pope Gregory XIII), which advances the date by ten day, is adopted throughout Catholic Europe. Protestant countries continue to use the old dating system, the Julian Calendar, until the eighteenth century.
The Peace of Jam-Zapolski concludes the Livonian War between Russia and Poland. Russia cedes Livonia and Estonia to Poland and loses access to the Baltic Sea.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project