2 of 7 portraits of Joseph Wright
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Joseph Wright
oil on canvas, circa 1782-1785
24 1/2 in. x 20 3/4 in. (622 mm x 527 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Joseph Wright (1734-1797), Painter, known as 'Wright of Derby'. Sitter associated with 7 portraits, Artist associated with 19 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Joseph Wright (1734-1797), Painter, known as 'Wright of Derby'. Artist associated with 19 portraits, Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 496
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 679
Events of 1782back to top
Current affairsFrederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford resigns as Prime Minister over recent setbacks in America and is succeeded by Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham who takes office for the second time. Rockingham dies on 1 July and is succeeded by William Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne.
Repeal of Poynings Law and Declaratory Act of 1720 gives virtual legislative autonomy to Ireland.
Art and scienceAfter a poor reception in the mid 1770s, actress Sarah Siddons makes a triumphant return to the Drury Lane Theatre, London in the title role of Isabella, or, The Fatal Marriage. She will become the century's best known tragic actress.
Clergyman and artist William Gilpin publishes Observations on the River Wye; a central text in the formulation of the concept of the picturesque.
InternationalAmerican War of Independence: Siege of Gibraltar reaches a climax in the Grand Assault but French and Spanish forces are unsuccessful. Britain loses Minorca prompting the Prime Minister, Lord Rockingham, to open peace talks with the Americans. Thomas Grenville is sent to Paris to negotiate with Benjamin Franklin.
Paper manufacturer Joseph Montgolfier sends a hot-air balloon 1000 meters into the air, in front of a crowd in the Ardèche in France.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints