- Extended Catalogue Entry
by George Frederic Watts
chalk, circa 1850-1851
24 in. x 20 in. (610 mm x 508 mm)
Given by George Frederic Watts, 1895
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 92 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1850back to top
Current affairsCardinal Wiseman, a Catholic priest who had exerted a strong influence on the Oxford movement, is made a Cardinal and leader of the Catholic church in England, thus restoring Roman Catholic hierarchy in England.
Art and scienceDeath of poet laureate William Wordsworth; his great autobiographical poem The Prelude is published posthumously, famously charting the growth of the poet's mind.
Tennyson's In Memoriam is also published. A poignant record of his grief over the death of his friend Arthur Hallam, the poem also movingly questions the strength of faith in an increasingly scientific age.
InternationalUp to 50,000 pioneers travel west in wagons on the Oregon trail in the United States, one of the main overland migration routes across the continent. Spanning over half the continent, the trail led 2,170 miles through territories and land which would later become six US states, including Kansas, Wyoming and Oregon, helping the US to implement its goal of Manifest Destiny - building a nation spanning the North American continent.
- The Watts Collection
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Rebel women
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'