Sir Thomas Wyatt
Sir Thomas Wyatt
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, feigned circle, circa 1550
13 1/2 in. x 13 in. (343 mm x 330 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Wyatt (1521?-1554), Conspirator; son of Sir Thomas Wyatt. Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The son of Thomas Wyatt the poet, and friend of the Earl of Surrey, Wyatt joined the Earl of Devonshire in an insurrection to prevent Mary I's marriage to Philip II of Spain. On entering London his followers deserted him and he surrendered. He was executed for high treason on Tower Hill.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 680
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 340
Events of 1550back to top
Current affairsJohn Dudley, Earl of Warwick is made Lord President of the Council and Master of the King's Household
Altars are replaced by communion tables in all London churches on the orders of the new Bishop Nicholas Ridley.
Treaty of Boulogne - English forces withdraw from Scotland and Boulogne is returned to the French in return for a substantial payment.
Art and scienceThe Italian artist Giorgio Vasari writes Le Vite dei più eccellenti pittori, scultori e architettori (Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors and Architects), the first work of Italian art history.
InternationalElection of Pope Julius III in Rome.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
From 26 July
- Interpreting underdrawing: the results of the project and some comparatives
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
25 July, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30