Sir Cyril Wyche
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Sir Cyril Wyche
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, based on a work of circa 1693
50 in. x 40 in. (1270 mm x 1016 mm)
Given by the sitter's lineal descendant, Sir Cyril Wyche, 1905
Sitterback to top
- Sir Cyril Wyche (1632?-1707), Statesman, scientist and politician; MP for Callington, East Grinstead, Saltash and Preston. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 345
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 680
Events of 1693back to top
Current affairsWilliam III shift to the Whigs is made apparent by his appointment of John Somers and John Trenchard to senior government posts; his initial preference for mixed ministries waned principally due to Whig support of his foreign policies.
Art and scienceDramatist, William Congreve, stages his first two plays; The Old Bachelor is enthusiastically received, conversely his subsequent play, The Double Dealer, is not met with the same approval. In response, Congreve angrily attacks his critics in the dedication of its first publication.
InternationalBattle of Landen. French army heavily defeats English and Dutch forces under William III. William's retreat from the French cavalry is made possible by the defence of the bridge at Neerhespen, by Huguenot leader, Henri de Massue de Ruvigny.
French defeat the British and Dutch merchant fleet, the Smyrna convoy.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project