1 portrait of Cecil Beaton
by Pavel Tchelitchew
29 3/8 in. x 14 1/2 in. (746 mm x 368 mm)
Bequeathed by Sir Cecil Beaton, 1980
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 354 portraits, Artist associated with 1086 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Pavel Tchelitchew (1898-1957), Surrealist painter. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Clerk, Honor, The Sitwells, 1994 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 14 October - 22 January 1995), p. 110
- Pepper, Terence, Beaton Portraits, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 February - 31 May 2004), p. 16
- Pepper, Terence, Beaton Portraits, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 February to 31 May 2004), p. 16
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 41
Events of 1934back to top
Current affairsSir Stafford Cripps represents the miners of Gresford Colliery in Wrexham at an inquiry into the recent gas explosion and fire which killed 263 miners, and three rescue workers in one of the worst mining disasters in British history.
Art and sciencePercy Shaw invents 'Cat's eyes'. The development of road reflectors increased safety on the roads at night and proved to be particularly useful during the wartime blackout. They are still used today.
Dylan Thomas published his first volume of poetry, 18 Poems.
InternationalStalin and Hitler consolidate dictatorial power by 'purging' their opponents. In the Soviet Union, members of the Communist Party and particular sectors of society such as the intelligentsia were targeted in the 'Great Purge', while in Germany Hitler murdered hundreds of potential opponents in the SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives'.
Thousands in the USA are forced to flee their homes to escape the Dust Bowl storms.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photography: A Public Art, 1840 - 1939
Until 7 October 2018
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer