King George IV
9 of 268 portraits of King George IV
- Extended Catalogue Entry
King George IV
by Thomas Wyon Jr, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
silver medal, 1816
1 3/8 in. (35 mm) diameter
Sitterback to top
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 273 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints