by John Hedgecoe
platinum print, 1971
9 3/4 in. x 7 1/4 in. (248 mm x 184 mm)
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 48 portraits, Artist associated with 13 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 306
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1971back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom changes to the Decimal System for currency, getting rid of shillings, and guineas and simplifying the denomination of pounds into 100 pence. This brought the British pound sterling in line with other currencies and made computer calculation easier.
Art and scienceMichael Caine stars in the filmGet Carter, a British crime classic about a man who sets out to get bloody revenge on the gangsters that killed his brother.
InternationalThe Immigration Act consolidated previous legislation in order to limit immigration, by requiring applicants to hold a work permit and introduced the concept of right of abode.
In Uganda, Idi Amin overthrows President Milton Obote and becomes dictator.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- David Hockney: Drawing from Life
From 27 February 2020
- David Hockney Portraits
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Portrait of an Artist
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Private View
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary