7 of 141 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Commissions - Paintings and Drawings'
by Suzi Malin
tempera on panel, 1980
44 in. x 29 3/4 in. (1118 mm x 756 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Alexander Frederick Douglas-Home, Baron Home of the Hirsel (1903-1995), Prime Minister. Sitter in 36 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait was painted from life studies made at the sitter's Scottish home, The Hirsel, Berwickshire, in April of 1980. He is seated on the riverbank with his fishing rod in his hand and his retriever Crispen by his side.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robin, The Face in the Corner: Animal Portraits from the Collections of the National Portrait Gallery, 1998, p. 23
- Robin Gibson, Pets in Portraits, 2015, p. 41
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 311
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Scottish Borders (sitter's home, The Hirsel, Coldstream, Berwickshire, Scotland)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1980back to top
Current affairsMargaret Thatcher makes one of her most famous speeches, living up to her nickname of 'the Iron Lady'. The speech was given to the Conservative Party conference in Brighton in response to the media speculation that the party would go back on its counter-inflationary policies: 'The lady's not for turning!'
Art and scienceJohn Lennon is murdered on the steps of his house. After fatally shooting him, Mark David Chapman calmly sat down on the pavement and waited to be arrested by police. Chapman had a history of mental illness and claimed that he had committed the murder as a way of getting attention.
InternationalIraq invades Iran, beginning eight years of conflict. The invasion followed years of border disputes, but was precipitated by the 1979 revolution in Iran and the resulting instability which Saddam Hussein saw as an opportunity to expand Iraqi influence in the region. Despite early gains for Iraq, the conflict soon descended into a war of attrition with huge causalities caused by Iraq's use of chemical weapons.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.