Sir Roy Strong
Sir Roy Strong
by Bryan Organ
oil on canvas, 1971
69 7/8 in. x 69 7/8 in. (1775 mm x 1775 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Roy Strong (1935-), Art historian and museum director; Director of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Sir Roy Strong became the assistant keeper of the National Portrait Gallery in 1959 and in 1967, when still in his early thirties, its director. As an art historian he specialises in Tudor and Jacobean painting and is shown in this portrait standing before one of the treasures of the Gallery's collection, The Somerset House Conference, 1604. Strong recorded his time as director of the Gallery and of the Victoria and Albert Museum (1974-87), in his Diaries which were published in 1997. A prolific author, historian and critic, he is also an expert on gardening.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 238
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 245
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 596
Events of 1971back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom changes to the Decimal System for currency, getting rid of shillings, and guineas and simplifying the denomination of pounds into 100 pence. This brought the British pound sterling in line with other currencies and made computer calculation easier.
Art and scienceMichael Caine stars in the filmGet Carter, a British crime classic about a man who sets out to get bloody revenge on the gangsters that killed his brother.
InternationalThe Immigration Act consolidated previous legislation in order to limit immigration, by requiring applicants to hold a work permit and introduced the concept of right of abode.
In Uganda, Idi Amin overthrows President Milton Obote and becomes dictator.
Make a donation
Support our Making History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- A Gardener's Labyrinth
- Britain 1960-1990
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Gallery history
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Artists and sitters
- The commissioning process
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- My Favourite Portrait by Tristram Hunt
- My Favourite Portrait by Jon Snow
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints