Sir Roy Strong
Sir Roy Strong
by Bryan Organ
oil on canvas, 1971
69 7/8 in. x 69 7/8 in. (1775 mm x 1775 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Roy Strong (1935-), Art historian and museum director; Director of the National Portrait Gallery. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 238
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 245
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 596
Events of 1971back to top
Current affairsThe United Kingdom changes to the Decimal System for currency, getting rid of shillings, and guineas and simplifying the denomination of pounds into 100 pence. This brought the British pound sterling in line with other currencies and made computer calculation easier.
Art and scienceMichael Caine stars in the filmGet Carter, a British crime classic about a man who sets out to get bloody revenge on the gangsters that killed his brother.
InternationalThe Immigration Act consolidated previous legislation in order to limit immigration, by requiring applicants to hold a work permit and introduced the concept of right of abode.
In Uganda, Idi Amin overthrows President Milton Obote and becomes dictator.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Gallery history
- Britain 1960-1990
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- A Gardener's Labyrinth
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Artists and sitters
- My Favourite Portrait by Tristram Hunt
- My Favourite Portrait by Jon Snow
- The commissioning process
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Adopt a Portrait
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.