by Julia Margaret Cameron
albumen print, 1864
10 in. x 7 3/4 in. (254 mm x 197 mm)
Artistback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Artist associated with 114 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 73
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 624
- Truss, Lynn, Tennyson and his Circle, 2015, p. 57
- Truss, Lynne, Character Sketches: Tennyson and His Circle, 1999, p. 29
Events of 1864back to top
Current affairsFirst of the Contagious Diseases Act. These acts allowed for the arrest, medical inspection and confinement of any woman suspected of being a prostitute in the port towns. Following huge public outcry over their discrimination against women, notably led by Josephine Butler, leader of the Ladies' National Association, the acts were eventually repealed.
Octavia Hill starts work on slums, and the International Working Men's Association is founded in London.
Art and scienceThe Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell presents his discoveries in the field of electromagnetics to the Royal Society. His paper A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field expresses the basic laws of electricity and magnetism in unified fashion. Maxwell's equations, as his rules came to be known, helped create modern physics, laying the foundation for future work in special relativity and quantum mechanics.
InternationalAustria and Prussia combine forces to seize Schleswig-Holstein from Denmark.
Britain cedes Corfu, acquired from France in the Second Treaty of Paris (1815) to Greece. Although Britain had vigorously suppressed an uprising in 1849 in Cephalonia aiming to restore Iolian islands, the government changed policy throughout the 1850s and 60s.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Photography: A Public Art, 1840 - 1939
Until 14 October
- Julia Margaret Cameron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Men of the day: Caricatures from Vanity Fair