Princess Victoria of Wales
Princess Victoria of Wales
by Philip Alexius de László
oil on cardboard, 1907
31 1/4 in. x 24 7/8 in. (794 mm x 632 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 110 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Philip Alexius de László (1869-1937), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 21 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 635
Events of 1907back to top
Current affairsRobert Baden Powell, a former lieutenant-general in the British Army, forms the Boy Scout Movement after holding a camp on Brownsea Island for a group of twenty-two boys of mixed social background. Baden Powell was inspired after finding that his 1903 military training manual Aids to Scouting had become a bestseller, and was being used by teachers and youth workers. The Scout movement has become a Worldwide phenomenon, with over 38 million members in 216 countries.
Art and scienceThe poet, author and critic Edmund Gosse publishes his autobiography Father and Son, an account of his relationship with his devout Christian father, the zoologist Phillip Gosse. Edmund's detailing of his loss of faith is a reflection on the Victorian age itself.
Anna Pavlova first dances The Dying Swan, choreographed by Michel Fokine to music by Camille Saint-Saens, at a charity performance.
InternationalAmerica is gripped by a financial crisis as a collapse of trust companies causes panic amongst shareholders.
Aged twenty, the Swiss architect Le Corbusier, one of the most influential figures in twentieth-century architecture, designs his first house at La Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Correspondence and Papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Online index and preliminary list
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László
- Artist - Laszlo
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.