- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Michael Dahl
oil on canvas, circa 1702
93 1/4 in. x 57 in. (2368 mm x 1448 mm)
Artistback to top
- Michael Dahl (1659-1743), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 166 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Audio Guide
- Smartify image discovery app
- Cooper, John, A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery, 2009, p. 24 Read entry
- Cooper, John, Visitor's Guide, 2000, p. 45
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 9
- John Cooper, National Portrait Gallery Visitor's Guide, 2006, p. 45
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 14
Events of 1702back to top
Current affairsWilliam III dies and is succeeded by Anne, his sister-in-law, the second daughter of James II and Anne Hyde. Committed to the Church of England and swayed towards Tory values, the queen would enjoy considerable popularity.
The general election sweeps the Tories to power in a landslide victory.
Art and scienceWriter, Daniel Defoe, publishes the Shortest Way with the Dissenters. The pamphlet is considered critical of the Anglican Church and Defoe is eventually arrested for seditious libel and briefly imprisoned.
The Daily Courant, Britain's first daily newspaper consisting of one page with two columns, is printed by Elizabeth Mallet.
InternationalAdmiral George Rooke overwhelmingly defeats a French squadron escorting a Spanish silver fleet from South America, at the naval Battle of Vigo Bay.
In the War of the Spanish Succession, John Churchill, Captain-General of the Forces, forces the French to withdraw from the River Maas.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints