Sir Caspar John
1 of 79 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'World War Two portraits'
© estate of Augustus John / Bridgeman Art Library www.bridgemanart.com
Sir Caspar John
by Augustus John
oil on panel, circa 1920
18 in. x 12 3/4 in. (457 mm x 324 mm)
Purchased with help from an anonymous donor, 1993
Sitterback to top
- Sir Caspar John (1903-1984), Admiral of the Fleet; son of Augustus John. Sitter in 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Augustus Edwin John (1878-1961), Painter. Artist associated with 33 portraits, Sitter in 103 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Augustus John painted this portrait of his son in early adulthood before he had established his reputation in the navy. In 1944 he gave it to Caspar as a wedding present on his marriage to Mary Vanderpump.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 339
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Camden Town Group and beyond (27 November 2010 - 31 August 2011)
Events of 1920back to top
Current affairsThe Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.
The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and scienceQueen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.
George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.