by Arnold Newman
colour polaroid print, 1978
9 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (241 mm x 191 mm)
Given by The Sunday Times, 1980
Sitterback to top
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 49 portraits, Artist associated with 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Arnold Newman (1918-2006), Photographer. Artist of 62 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Taken in Hockney's fifth floor studio, Bayswater, London.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Perry, George, The Great British: Photographs by Arnold Newman, 1979 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 30 November 1979 - 11 May 1980), p. 103
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 306
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's studio, Bayswater, London)
Events of 1978back to top
Current affairsThe country is brought to a virtual standstill as workers in the private and public sector strike over the government's decision to restrict wage increases. As more workers joined the strikes rubbish piled up in the streets, petrol stations ran short, and storage space had to be hired for unburied coffins. The period became known as the 'winter of discontent'.
Art and scienceLouise Brown from Oldham in Greater Manchester becomes the world's first 'test-tube baby'. The 'in vitro' fertilisation procedure was a scientific breakthrough that has given thousands of infertile couples the opportunity to conceive.
Iris Murdoch wins the Booker prize with her novel. The Sea, the Sea.
InternationalKarol Józef Wojtyla becomes Pope John Paul II. He was the only Polish Pope and the first non-Italian Pontiff since the 16th century. During his 26-year pontificate, John Paul was recognised for his efforts to reach out to other religions and his fight against poverty and oppression. He has also, however, been criticised for his conservative attitudes towards divorce, contraception, homosexual marriage and the ordination of women priests.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- David Hockney: Drawing from Life
From 27 February
- David Hockney Portraits
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Portrait of an Artist
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Private View
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Portraits of Alec Guinness