Sir Michael Kemp Tippett
Sir Michael Kemp Tippett
by Arnold Newman
bromide print, 1978
15 3/8 in. x 9 in. (391 mm x 229 mm)
Given by The Sunday Times, 1980
Artistback to top
- Arnold Newman (1918-2006), Photographer. Artist or producer of 62 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Perry, George, The Great British: Photographs by Arnold Newman, 1979 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 30 November 1979 - 11 May 1980), p. 91
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 618
Events of 1978back to top
Current affairsThe country is brought to a virtual standstill as workers in the private and public sector strike over the government's decision to restrict wage increases. As more workers joined the strikes rubbish piled up in the streets, petrol stations ran short, and storage space had to be hired for unburied coffins. The period became known as the 'winter of discontent'.
Art and scienceLouise Brown from Oldham in Greater Manchester becomes the world's first 'test-tube baby'. The 'in vitro' fertilisation procedure was a scientific breakthrough that has given thousands of infertile couples the opportunity to conceive.
Iris Murdoch wins the Booker prize with her novel. The Sea, the Sea.
InternationalKarol Józef Wojtyla becomes Pope John Paul II. He was the only Polish Pope and the first non-Italian Pontiff since the 16th century. During his 26-year pontificate, John Paul was recognised for his efforts to reach out to other religions and his fight against poverty and oppression. He has also, however, been criticised for his conservative attitudes towards divorce, contraception, homosexual marriage and the ordination of women priests.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Artists and sitters
- Only Connect - Sir Michael Tippett <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - Sir Michael Tippett <> Ludwig van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Sir Michael Tippett <> Barbara Hepworth
- Only Connect - Sir Michael Tippett <> T.S. Eliot
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.