Tennyson and his sons
8 of 97 portraits of Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Tennyson and his sons
by Julia Margaret Cameron
albumen print, 1865
9 3/8 in. x 7 3/4 in. (237 mm x 199 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson (1809-1892), Poet Laureate. Sitter in 97 portraits. Identify
- Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson (1852-1928), Governor General of Australia and biographer. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Lionel Tennyson (1854-1886), Second son of Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), Pioneer photographer. Artist associated with 114 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 736
Events of 1865back to top
Current affairsElizabeth Garrett Anderson is the first female to be awarded a doctor's licence. She is also involved in collecting signatures for the Manchester Suffrage Committee, the first suffrage organisation, formed this year. John Stuart Mill was also elected to parliament this year on the platform of women's suffrage.
Palmerston dies in October, and is replaced as leader of the Liberal government by his Foreign Secretary, Lord Russell.
Art and scienceLewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is published, inspired by Carroll's relationship (as Oxford don Charles Dodgson) with his friend Henry George Liddell's daughter Alice.
Matthew Arnold publishes the first series of Essays in Criticism, a defining text in the development of English literature as an academic discipline.
InternationalIn the American civil war, Robert E. Lee surrenders the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia to Ulysses S. Grant, leading to the surrender of the Confederacy's remaining field armies. A few days later, US President Abraham Lincoln is shot dead by Confederate sympathiser John Wilkes Booth. Later this year slavery is officially abolished after years of fierce campaigning. In response, the first branch of the Ku Klux Klan is founded on Christmas Eve.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.