1 of 7 portraits of Albert Finney
by Lewis Morley
bromide print, 1960
14 3/4 in. x 11 3/8 in. (376 mm x 290 mm)
Given by the photographer, Lewis Morley, 1992
Sitterback to top
- Albert Finney (1936-2019), Stage and film actor and film director. Sitter in 7 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lewis Morley (1925-2013), Photographer. Artist of 306 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Publicity photograph for Billy Liar.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pepper, Terence, Lewis Morley: Photographer of the Sixties, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 September 1989 - 7 January 1990), p. 39
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 218
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (outside the Cambridge Theatre, London)
Events of 1960back to top
Current affairsPrince Andrew is born, the third child of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.
The Contraceptive Pill is introduced in England, dramatically changing the nation's approach to sex and relationships, and significantly contributing to the 1960s culture of liberation.
Art and sciencePenguin books defend D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover against charges of obscenity by demonstrating that the novel was of literary merit. The 'not guilty' verdict was seen as a victory for free speech and marked the beginning if a new era of liberalism.
The satirical revue Beyond the Fringe launches the careers of Alan Bennett, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Jonathan Miller.
InternationalHarold Macmillan delivers his 'wind of change' speech to the South African Parliament in Cape Town, announcing Britain's decision to grant independence to many of her colonies. The speech recognised the emergence of African nationalism, and criticised the policy of Apartheid in South Africa.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.