Queen Mary II
1 of 95 portraits of Queen Mary II
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Queen Mary II
by Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, circa 1677
49 3/8 in. x 40 in. (1254 mm x 1019 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 95 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 842 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait shows Mary at the age of fifteen, at the time of her marriage to William of Orange.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 171
- Macleod, Catharine; Alexander, Julia Marciari, Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 11 October 2001 to 6 January 2002), p. 183
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 86
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 104
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 416
Events of 1677back to top
Current affairsSpeech by George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, arguing that the prolonged prorogation of the Cavalier Parliament rendered it dissolved, sends him and three others, including Philip Wharton, Baron Wharton, to the Tower.
Stadtholder, Prince William of Orange, marries Mary, daughter of James, Duke of York and Anne Hyde.
Art and scienceThe Natural History of Oxfordshire, (1676) by naturalist and antiquary Robert Plot, secures his election to the Royal Society in December and two years later, appointment as curator of objects to the objects bequeathed to Oxford University by Elias Ashmole.
InternationalDespite his dismissal from court in 1669, royalist soldier and statesman, James Butler, Duke of Ormond, is reappointed lord lieutenant of Ireland.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer