David Graham Pole
1 of 7 portraits of David Graham Pole
David Graham Pole
by Elliott & Fry
bromide print, 4 April 1950
Sitterback to top
- David Graham Pole (1877-1952), Major and solicitor; MP for South Derbyshire. Sitter in 7 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10986 portraits.
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War breaks out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Indian Nobility in Britain
Until 15 December
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970