Martha Annie Whiteley
Martha Annie Whiteley
by Elliott & Fry
bromide print, 1946
Sitterback to top
- Martha Annie Whiteley (1866-1956), Editor of Thorpes Dictionary of Applied Chemistry. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10995 portraits.
Events of 1946back to top
Current affairsThe new Labour government begins to act upon the recommendations of the Beveridge Report (1942) by nationalising The Bank of England and Imperial Communications, bringing in a National Insurance Bill, and setting plans for the National Health Service. Nationalisation of industry and the provision of free healthcare and welfare were the main aims of post-war domestic politics.
Art and scienceMervyn Peake publishes Titus Groan; the first of his Gormenghast Trilogy. The three novels are regarded as classics of the fantasy genre, although they contain no magic or intelligent non-human characters, so might more appropriately be described as belonging to the 'gothic' or 'fantastic' genre.
InternationalNazi officials are tried for their part in the War and the Holocaust at Nuremberg. The trials were to prosecute war criminals and the location was chosen because it was the site of the annual Nazi rallies, and therefore seen as a fitting place for the demise of the party. The Nuremberg Trials paved the way for post-war developments in international criminal law.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.