Sir John Atkins
Sir John Atkins
by Elliott & Fry
quarter-plate glass negative, 28 March 1945
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Sir John Atkins (1875-1963), Deputy Director of Army Medical Services; physician-in-ordinary to Duke of Connaught. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10997 portraits.
Events of 1945back to top
Current affairsDespite Churchill's popularity during, and indeed after, the War, Clement Attlee wins a landslide Labour victory in the general election. Labour's success was due to its promise of a better society through the Welfare state, and was demonstrative of the public's desire for a new and better post-War society.
Art and scienceNoel Coward's Brief Encounter is released. The film, based on Coward's play, Still Life, is about the love affair between two married people who meet at a railway station. Conscious of the risk of being caught the couple decide to break off their relationship to protect their marriages.
George Orwell publishes his satirical novel Animal Farm, as an allegorical critique of Soviet Totalitarianism.
InternationalA war on two fronts finally proves too much for Germany as allied forces push from the East and West. On the 30th April Hitler committed suicide and Germany soon surrendered to Soviet troops. Victory in Europe was announced on the 8th May. War in the Pacific continued until America dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, killing 214,000 people, and ending the war with Japan.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.