1 portrait of Christopher John Penrice Booker
by Gerald Scarfe
pen and indian ink, 1972
30 in. x 44 3/4 in. (762 mm x 1136 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Christopher John Penrice Booker (1937-), Journalist and writer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Peter Edward Cook (1937-1995), Comedian. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Nigel Richard Patton Dempster (1941-2007), Journalist. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Paul Mackintosh Foot (1937-2004), Writer and journalist. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Richard Reid Ingrams (1937-), Journalist and editor. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Peter McKay. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Auberon Alexander Waugh (1939-2001), Journalist and author; son of Evelyn Waugh. Sitter in 18 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 731
Events of 1972back to top
Current affairsBritain joins the European Community. After two attempts both vetoed by President Charles De Gaulle of France, Britain is finally accepted into the EC under the pro-European leadership of Edward Heath.
British soldiers shoot 14 unarmed protesters in the Bloody Sunday massacre. The men were part of a march through Londonderry, protesting about the policy of internment without trial.
Art and scienceDavid Bowie releases The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; a classic glam-rock concept album with the themes of space aliens, gender ambiguity and rock 'n' roll superstardom.
InternationalThe arrest of five men who were caught trying to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee marks the beginning of the 'Watergate Scandal'. The scandal centred on attempts to spy on the Democratic opposition in order to help President Nixon's re-election, and finally led to Nixon's resignation two years later.
Black September Palestinian terrorists murder 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer