1 of 3 portraits of Lily Harcourt
by Elliott & Fry
chlorobromide print on cream card mount, 1883
10 3/4 in. x 7 1/2 in. (273 mm x 192 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10997 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (55 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Events of 1883back to top
Current affairsFollowing the Secret Ballot Act (1872), the Corrupt and Illegal Practices Act was a further measure introduced by Gladstone's government with the intention of limiting bribery and intimidation in elections. Candidates' expenses were published, and a strict limit set on expenses, and it also enabled poorer candidates to stand for parliament.
Art and scienceThe Royal College of Music founded in London, with the British musicologist George Grove as its first director.
Monet moves to Giverny, a village along the Seine, where he lives until his death in 1926. Renting a farmhouse he later buys, Monet designs a pond, redesigns the garden, and begins to paint some of his most recognisable images of water lilies, flower beds and the Japanese footbridge.
InternationalThe Brooklyn Bridge opens in New York, connecting the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn, stretching 1825 metres over the East River. One of the oldest suspension bridges in America, it was the largest in the world upon completion. Designed by the John Augustus Roebling's engineering firm, the bridge is built from limestone, granite and Rosendale natural cement, in gothic style.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.