by Elliott & Fry
chlorobromide print on cream card mount, 1891
11 1/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (283 mm x 241 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10997 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (55 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Events of 1891back to top
Current affairsThe Irish Nationalist leader Charles Parnell is forced to resign after being named in the divorce proceedings brought by William O'Shea against his wife Kitty, who had been Parnell's mistress for a decade. The scandal severely damages the campaign for the Home Rule Bill, contributing greatly to its subsequent failure. Parnell's health also suffered; he contracted rheumatic fever and died a few months after resigning.
Art and scienceThomas Hardy's publishes Tess of the D'Urbervilles, a tragedy which explores the consequences of the young Tess's seduction by the wealthy Alec D'Urberville. In the novel, Hardy sets forward his major concerns about the individual's powerlessness before fate, whilst radically critiquing the hypocritical double standards of contemporary morals.
InternationalThe construction of Trans-Siberian railway, the longest single rail system in Russia, begins in the Urals and at Vladivostock. Running between Moscow and Vladivostock, work was completed in 1917.
The German aviation pioneer Otto Lilenthal takes off in the first glider from a hill near Potsdam, the first of many guided flights and an important step in the development of aerial technology.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.