by Elliott & Fry
chlorobromide print on cream card mount, 1884
11 in. x 8 1/4 in. (278 mm x 211 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10995 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG Ax139900: May Fortescue (née Finney) as Dorothy in 'Dan'l Druce'; May Fortescue (née Finney); Madge Milton; Julia Lavinia Gwynne; Ellen Terry (includes the portrait)
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (55 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Events of 1884back to top
Current affairsThe Third Reform Act further reduces the financial threshold for voters, extending the franchise to all householders in the counties, achieving uniformity with those in the boroughs, and effectively doubling the electorate from 2.5 million to just under 5 million.
Foundation of the socialist group, the Fabian Society. The group quickly grows in size, including members Eleanor Marx, George Bernard Shaw and Beatrice Webb.
Art and scienceUnder the editorship of James Murray, the Oxford English Dictionary begins publication, with the tenth and final volume appearing 1928. The idea for a historical dictionary of the English language had been conceived by members of the Philological Society in 1857, including Frederick Furnivall, and some 800 voluntary readers contributed to the immense project.
InternationalGermany annexes Southwest Africa, Togoland, the Cameroons, and Tanganyike, and launches the scramble for Africa as it becomes the third largest colonial power in the continent. Bismarck also invites the European powers to a West Africa conference in Berlin, which, carving up the map of Africa between them, regulates colonial practice, frees trade and prohibits slavery, formally marking the start of the New Imperialism which would flourish until World War I.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Lives and Letters
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rebel women
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints