by John Watkins, after Unknown photographer
albumen carte-de-visite, circa 1860s (1849)
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/4 in. (86 mm x 58 mm) image size
Given by Algernon Graves, 1916
Sitterback to top
- William Etty (1787-1849), Painter. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1849back to top
Current affairsBenjamin Disraeli becomes Conservative leader in the House of Commons.
Bedford College for Women is founded, following on from the foundation of Queen's College for Women the previous year.
Henry Mayhew, the social researcher and reform advocate, begins publishing his extensive statistical survey into the living conditions of urban communities, London Labour and the London Poor in the Morning Chronicle.
Art and scienceWith the death of his father Johann Strauss the Elder, Johann Baptist Strauss, the Austrian violinist and composer combines his and his father's orchestra, becoming known as 'the Waltz King'. His famous waltzes include The Blue Danube (1867). Dante Gabriel Rossetti paints his sister, the poet Christina, in The Girlhood of Mary Virgin.
InternationalRome is briefly proclaimed a republic after the papal states are overthrown by Italian republicans. Napoleon's dependency on French Catholics leads him however to help restore papal authority. The restoration of Austrian military rule in Italy further darkens hopes of a self-ruling Italian nationhood.
Communist riots are suppressed in Paris.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
- Queen Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints