Cyril Francis Maude
6 of 21 portraits of Cyril Francis Maude
Cyril Francis Maude
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 19 August 1910
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Sitterback to top
- Cyril Francis Maude (1862-1951), Actor and theatre manager. Sitter in 21 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42746 portraits.
Events of 1910back to top
Current affairsGeorge V succeeds Edward VII to the throne.
The Liberals win narrow victories after calling two General Elections following escalating tension between the Liberal administration and the Lords reached crisis point with the Lords' unprecedented rejection of Lloyd George's 1909 budget. The budget included tax reform intended to fund social reform and a rearmament programme, but was seen by the Conservative Lords as an assault on property.
Art and scienceThe critic and Bloomsbury group member Roger Fry curates a ground-breaking and, at the time, shocking exhibition in London's Grafton Galleries, Manet and the Post-Impressionists. The exhibition introduces the work of contemporary European artists to the London art establishment, including Manet, Cezanne, Gaugin and Van Gogh, and Fry became a champion of modern art, coining the term 'Post-Impressionism'.
InternationalJapan annexes Korea as a colony, an indication of Japan's ambitious imperialist aims and attempts to control trade and influence in East Asia. Japanese occupation of Korea lasted until 1945, after Japan surrendered to the Allied forces at the end of the Second World War and Korea was divided in two by the United States and the Soviet Union.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
- Spotlight: Queen Elizabeth II
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.