Sir Henry Irving
Sir Henry Irving
by Elliott & Fry
albumen cabinet card, 1892
5 7/8 in. x 4 1/8 in. (148 mm x 104 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Sitterback to top
- Sir Henry Irving (John Henry Brodribb) (1838-1905), Actor-manager. Sitter in 122 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10997 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's home, 15a Grafton Street, London)
Events of 1892back to top
Current affairsGladstone's fourth and final term as Prime Minister begins, and is again dominated by the issue of Home Rule as he attempts to push through the third Home Rule Bill.
The first Indian MP, Dadabhai Naoroji wins the seat for Finsbury Central, and Keir Hardie becomes the first MP for the Independent Labour Party, winning the seat for West Ham.
Art and scienceWilliam Butler Yeats forms the National Literary Society in Dublin, and also publishes The Countess Cathleen, a short play and his first contribution to Irish poetic drama.
Rudolf Diesel is issued a patent for his internal combustion engine; Diesel's engine eventually replaces steam power.
The Nutcracker, based upon a story by E. T. A. Hoffman, composed by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky has its premier in St Petersburg.
InternationalFifteen year old Annie Moore, from Ireland, is the first person to enter the United States through Ellis Island, newly opened as the point of reception for all new immigrants. Between 1892-1924, more than twenty million immigrants passed through Ellis Island.
The Falkland Islands, east of the South American mainland, become a British colony.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Sir Henry Irving
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.