King Richard III
6 of 27 portraits of King Richard III
King Richard III
by Jodocus Hondius, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1611
2 1/2 in. x 2 1/2 in. (65 mm x 65 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 27 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1611back to top
Current affairsArchbishop of Canterbury, Richard Bancroft, dies and is succeeded by George Abbot. Abbot's attempts to unite the churches of Scotland and England in 1608, found favour with the king, probably assisting in his preferment to the archbishopric.
Art and scienceCartographer John Speed publishes the first comprehensive atlas of Great Britain.
Under the patronage of James I, the King James Bible is published, the most famous English translation of the scriptures.
Playwright Benjamin Jonson, with designs by Inigo Jones, stages his court masque, Oberon, at Whitehall Palace.
InternationalThe betrothal of the ten year old French king, Louis XIII, to the daughter of Philip III of Spain, the equally young Infanta, Anne, is agreed in the Treaty of Fontainebleau, cementing a political alliance between their two respective countries, whilst raising Protestant fears in England.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.