by Edward Fisher, printed for Robert Sayer, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
14 in. x 10 in. (357 mm x 254 mm) plate size; 14 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. (369 mm x 267 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Sterne (1713-1768), Writer and divine; author of 'Tristram Shandy'. Sitter in 16 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Edward Fisher (1722-before 1782), Mezzotint engraver. Artist associated with 91 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- Robert Sayer (1724 or 1725-1794), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 198 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1760back to top
Current affairsDeath of George II on 25 October at the age of 76. George III succeeds to the throne at the age of 22.
Art and scienceGerman artist Johan Zoffany arrives in England, where he is instrumental in reviving the 'conversation piece' genre of painting.
First public exhibition of paintings in England is held at the Society of Arts' Great Room in the Strand, London.
The Public Ledger is founded; the oldest British periodical with continuous daily publication.
InternationalSeven Years' War: At the Battle of Carrickfergus in Ireland, a force of French troops captures the town of Carrickfergus before retiring.
Surrender of Montreal to the British under General Jeffrey Amherst signals the virtual loss of Canada by the French. British troops oust the Nawab of Bengal Mir Jafar and replace him with Mir Quasim.
Former Chief Tacky leads an unsuccessful slave rebellion in Jamaica, which aims to overthrow British rule.
- Portrait of the Day: Joshua Reynolds
29 September, 12:30