by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 30 January 1929
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Andrew MacLaren (1883-1975), Politician and artist. Sitter in 3 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1929back to top
Current affairsThe first election held under universal suffrage is a victory for Labour. Ramsay Macdonald returned for his second term as Prime Minster, and appointed Margaret Grace Bondfield as the first woman Cabinet Minister.
Art and scienceTwo classic books about the First World War are published: All Quiet on the Western Front, by war veteran, Erich Maria Remarque, tells of the horrors of war and the returning German soldiers' feelings of detachment from civilian life; while Robert Grave's autobiography Goodbye to All That, aimed to describe the author's experiences of the war so that they 'need never be thought about again'.
InternationalThe 24th October 1929 becomes known as Black Thursday when the US Stock Exchange Collapses and millions are lost. The event was the start of the Wall Street Crash, which in turn contributed towards the Great Depression: a major international recession that lasted through most of the 1930s.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints