3 of 304 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Science, appliance and technology - Photography and film'
© reserved; collection National Portrait Gallery, London
by Anthony Wysard
pencil, ink and wash on board, 1930
10 7/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (276 mm x 211 mm) paper size; 8 7/8 in. x 6 1/8 in. (226 mm x 157 mm) image size
Sitterback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 358 portraits, Artist associated with 1103 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Anthony Wysard (1907-1984), Caricaturist. Artist associated with 58 portraits, Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 41
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1930back to top
Current affairsAmy Johnson is the first woman to fly solo to Australia. She flew the 11,000 miles from Croydon to Darwin in a De Havilland Gipsy Moth named Jason and won the Harmon Trophy as well as a CBE for her achievement. She went on to break a number of other flying records, and died while serving in the Air Transport Auxiliary in 1941.
Art and scienceNoel Coward's play, Private Lives is first performed. The original run starred Gertrude Lawrence and Laurence Olivier as well as Coward himself. Private Lives became Coward's most enduringly successful play.
InternationalGandhi leads the Salt March. The march to the coast was a direct protest against the British monopoly on the sale of salt and inspired hordes of Indians to follow him and adopt his methods of Satyagraha (non-violent resistance to the British rule of India).
Stalin orders the 'liquidation of the kulaks (wealthy farmers) as a class' in a violent attempt to centralise control of agriculture and collectivise farming.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- The World's Most Photographed
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Britain 1960-1990
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z