Sir Arthur Hesilrige
Sir Arthur Hesilrige
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1650
50 1/8 in. x 39 7/8 in. (1274 mm x 1013 mm) overall
Purchased with help from the Art Fund and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 1998
Sitterback to top
- Sir Arthur Hesilrige (1601-1661), Statesman and parliamentarian. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 300
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Hidden: An Unseen Portrait of Oliver Cromwell (10 July 2014 - 19 October 2014)
Events of 1650back to top
Current affairsExiled Charles, Prince of Wales, holds negotiations in the Netherlands, with the Scottish Parliament to secure an alliance. Despite misgivings on both sides, and pressure from the Scots for Charles to sign the covenants, the treaty of Breda is agreed.
Oliver Cromwell defeats the Scots at the Battle of Dunbar.
Art and sciencePoet and politician, Andrew Marvell, composes his greatest political poem, Horatian Ode upon Cromwell's Return from Ireland. Marvell become Oliver Cromwell's unofficial poet laureate during the Protectorate.
InternationalWilliam, The Prince of Orange, grandson of Charles I, is born assuming the title from the moment of birth. Forty years later, he would become William III of England.
General-at-Sea, Robert Blake is dispatched to Portugal to prevent attacks on Commonwealth merchant shipping from royalist, Prince Rupert, based in Lisbon.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 1 December 2019
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- WebQuest: Cavaliers and Roundheads