3 of 21 portraits of John Donne
after Isaac Oliver
line engraving, 17th century
4 5/8 in. x 2 7/8 in. (116 mm x 73 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistback to top
- Isaac Oliver (circa 1565-1617), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1600back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex is put on trial for failing to put an end to the rebellion in Ireland, attempting to negotiate a truce with the rebel leader Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and deserting his post.
Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, replaces Essex as Lord Deputy of Ireland.
The East India Company receives its Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth I.
Birth of Prince Charles in Scotland (later King Charles I).
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Hamlet.
The scientist William Gilbert writes De magnete ('on the magnet'), which pioneers research into the properties of the lodestone (magnetic iron ore) and introduces the terms 'electricity' and 'magnetic pole'.
The miniature painter Nicholas Hilliard works on his painting treatise The Art of Limning at this time.
InternationalHenry IV of France marries Marie de Medici from the powerful ruling family of Florence, Italy.
The Italian astronomer, philosopher and mathematician Giordano Bruno is sentenced to death by the Roman Inquisition and burned at the stake for heresy.
Following the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu seizes control of Japan at the Battle of Sekigahara.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- John Donne
- Recent acquisition: John Donne
- The Conservation of the portrait of John Donne
- John Donne nearly finished...
- My Favourite Portrait by Leonie Frieda
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- John Donne
- Who do you think you were?
- Tudor Miniatures
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- 2017 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints