by Harry Borden
C-type colour print, 26 January 1998
14 in. x 14 in. (355 mm x 355 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Janet Street-Porter (1946-), Journalist, broadcaster and television presenter. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Harry Borden (1965-), Photographer. Artist of 116 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Photographed at Street-Porter's home, Clerkenwell.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (sitter's home, Clerkenwell, London)
Events of 1998back to top
Current affairsThe Human Rights Act is passed giving further effect in UK Law to the rights contained in the European Convention on Human Rights. The Act, which came into effect in 2000, gave individuals the opportunity to argue in a British court that their human rights had been breached. As a last resort individuals are still able to take their case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.
Art and scienceAnthony Gormley's monumental sculpture Angel of the North is erected just outside Gateshead. The sculpture is 20 metres tall and has a wingspan of 54 metres. Despite initial local and press controversy, the work is now considered a landmark of the North of England and cannot be missed from the A1 road or East Coast Mainline railway (the main routes from London to Scotland).
InternationalThe British and Irish governments sign the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement, which is subsequently endorsed by voters in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland at referendums. The Agreement established a new Northern Ireland Assembly, which formed a parliament made up of representatives from different parties. The Assembly has since been suspended and attempts continue for its re-establishment.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Harry Borden on Business
- First Showing
- Bright Young Things: 13 Under 30
- Hold Still: Explore our Collection
- Management today, Management tomorrow
- Athletes and Olympians
- Garage & Grime Musicians
- Photographic Portraits of Contemporary Designers
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.