17 of 20 portraits of Ian McKellen
by Harry Borden
bromide fibre print, 1997
15 in. x 15 in. (382 mm x 380 mm)
Artistback to top
- Harry Borden (1965-), Photographer. Artist or producer of 116 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1997back to top
Current affairsThe Labour party - re-branded as New Labour - win a spectacular landslide election and Tony Blair becomes Prime Minister. Their electoral campaign promised that 'things can only get better' and that their priorities would be 'education, education, education.' While New Labour's 'third way' centralist approach put off some party traditionalists, it secured the popular vote.
Princess Diana and her lover Dodi Fayed die in a car crash in Paris.
Art and scienceJ.K. Rowling publishes Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the first of seven fantasy books chronicling the life of Harry and his friends at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry: learning magic, breaking school rules, romantic entanglements and their struggles against the evil Lord Voldemort.
Scientists at the Roslin Institute in Scotland announce that they have cloned the first mammal from an adult cell: '6LL3', or Dolly the Sheep.
InternationalGovernor of Hong Kong Chris Patten hands the island back to China after one hundred and fifty years as a British Colony. Although sovereignty was restored to China, it was agreed that the Island would become a 'Special Administrative Region' under the 'One Country, Two Systems' principle, effectively keeping its capitalist economy and way of life for a period of 50 years.
- Athletes and Olympians
- First Showing
- Harry Borden on Business
- Management today, Management tomorrow
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Photographic Portraits of Contemporary Designers
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Bright Young Things: 13 Under 30
- Garage & Grime Musicians
- Hold Still: explore our Collection
- Inspirational quotes from 10 significant LGBTQI people in the Collection
- Contemporary Collection Display