1 of 2 portraits of Robert Chamberlain
by Wouter Binneman, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1679
5 1/4 in. x 3 1/8 in. (132 mm x 79 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Robert Chamberlain (1632?-1696), Merchant and mathematician. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1679back to top
Current affairsCavalier Parliament dissolves over the exclusion crisis - removing James, Duke of York from the line of succession. First of three 'Exclusion Parliaments' assembles; William Russell, Lord Bedford, member of the nascent Whig party, introduces an Exclusion Bill.
James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, suppresses rebellious Scottish covenanters at Bothwell Bridge.
Art and scienceAn adaptation of Sophocles's Oedipus is published, a collaboration between poet laureate, John Dryden and playwright, Nathaniel Lee. It becomes a hugely successful stage production during the Restoration period.
Composer, Henry Purcell, becomes organist of Westminster Abbey.
InternationalThe daughter of Henrietta Anne of England and Philippe, Duke of Orleans, Marie Louise d'Orleans, marries Charles II of Spain. It was hoped the marriage would improve relations between France and Spain who had previously been at war over the Spanish Netherlands.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.