after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1633-1645
4 7/8 in. x 3 3/8 in. (123 mm x 85 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- William Laud (1573-1645), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 61 portraits.
Events of 1633back to top
Current affairsWilliam Laud is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury. A supporter of the political and religious policies of Charles I, he worked for the uniformity of church doctrine and practice.
Formal coronation of Charles I in Scotland. It would be the king's first visit since he left the country aged three.
Art and sciencePublication of Histriomastix by pamphleteer, William Prynne, which denounces female actors, coincides with the queen's participation in a masque; Prynne is consequently tried for sedition.
Playwright, John Ford, publishes 'Tis Pity She's a Whore; its treatment of incest makes it one of the most controversial works in English literature.
InternationalSummoned by Pope VIII, Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome to stand trial for the Copernican views he expressed in Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, 1632. Found guilty of heresy, he spends the remainder of his life under house arrest.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.