(Myles) Birket Foster
11 of 15 portraits of (Myles) Birket Foster
(Myles) Birket Foster
by Elliott & Fry
albumen carte-de-visite, early 1870s
3 1/2 in. x 2 3/8 in. (88 mm x 59 mm) image size
Given by Phyllis Cunnington, 1962
Sitterback to top
- (Myles) Birket Foster (1825-1899), Watercolour painter and illustrator. Sitter in 15 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Elliott & Fry (active 1863-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 10997 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographers' studio, 55 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Sir Edward Burne-Jones
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Rebel women
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Lives and Letters
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.