1 of 2 portraits of Jonathan William Patrick Aitken
by Patrick Lichfield
archival inkjet print, July 1967
16 in. x 12 in. (407 mm x 305 mm) overall
Given by Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield, 2003 in conjunction with the exhibition 'Lichfield: the early years 1962-1982'
Artistback to top
- Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield (1939-2005), Photographer. Artist associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Jonathan William Patrick Aitken (1942-), Company director, politician and newspaper columnist and writer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- David Henry Benedictus (1938-), Writer and director for stage, television and radio. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Lady Mary Gaye Georgiana Lorna Curzon (1947-), Former wife of Esmond Cooper-Key and of John Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe and of Jeffrey Bonas, and later wife of Christopher Shaw; daughter of 6th Earl Howe. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Christopher Gibbs (1938-), Antique dealer and collector. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Tom Hustler (1935-2006), Photographer. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist of 5 portraits. Identify
- Cathy McGowan (1942-), Television presenter. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Michael ('Tom') Maschler (1933-), Publisher and editor. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Nicholas Osborne Tomalin (1931-1973), Editor and journalist. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints