by Patrick Lichfield
archival inkjet print, July 1967
11 7/8 in. x 14 1/8 in. (302 mm x 360 mm)
Given by Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield, 2003 in conjunction with the exhibition 'Lichfield: the early years 1962-1982'
Artistback to top
- Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield (1939-2005), Photographer. Artist or producer associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Anthony Blond (1928-2008), Publisher. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Jon Bradshaw (1938-1986), Journalist and author. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Brigid Antonia Brophy (1929-1995), Novelist. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Justin de Villeneuve (Nigel John Davies) (1940-), Entrepreneur. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- (Cecil) Robin Douglas-Home (1932-1968), Jazz pianist, photographer, journalist and writer; son of Hon. Henry Douglas-Home. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Edward Francis Williams, Baron Francis-Williams (1903-1970), Journalist and writer. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Leslie Frewin, Author. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Bertram David Jacobs (1912-1968), Lawyer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Geoffrey Keating. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- John Wodehouse, 4th Earl of Kimberley (1924-2002), Member of the House of Lords; Bobsleigh racer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Cyril Lord (1911-1984), Textile and carpet manufacturer. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- (Ian) Robert Maxwell (1923-1991), Newspaper proprietor and publisher. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Sir Cyril Osborne (1898-1969), Politician; Justice of the Peace. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Sir William Brian Pigott-Brown, 3rd Bt (1941-2020), Amateur jockey; son of Sir John Pigott-Brown, 2nd Bt. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Robert Pitman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Egon Ronay (1915-2010), Food critic and founder of the Egon Ronay hotel and restaurant guides. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Billy Walker (1939-), Boxer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Mary Whitehouse (1910-2001), Founder and President of the National Viewers and Listeners Association. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- George Edward Cecil Wigg, Baron Wigg (1900-1983), Politician; MP for Dudley and Paymaster-General. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Godfrey Herbert Winn (1906-1971), Journalist and author. Sitter in 40 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.