7 of 28 portraits of Henry Frederick Thynne, 6th Marquess of Bath
by Patrick Lichfield
archival inkjet print, July 1967
12 in. x 14 3/8 in. (305 mm x 365 mm)
Given by Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield, 2003 in conjunction with the exhibition 'Lichfield: the early years 1962-1982'
Artistback to top
- Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield (1939-2005), Photographer. Artist associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Sir Alfred Jules Ayer (1910-1989), Philosopher. Sitter in 13 portraits. Identify
- Henry Frederick Thynne, 6th Marquess of Bath (1905-1992), Landowner and businessman. Sitter in 28 portraits. Identify
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Sitter associated with 361 portraits, Artist associated with 1112 portraits. Identify
- Anthony Burgess (John Burgess Wilson) (1917-1993), Novelist and critic; composer. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Mario Cassandro (1920-2011), Restaurateur. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Sir Charles Clore (1904-1979), Financier. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Ronald Balfour ('Ronnie') Corbett (1930-2016), Actor and comedian. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- David Harrington Angus Douglas, 12th Marquess of Queensberry (1929-), Artist and professor. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Anne Veronica (née Coke), Baroness Glenconner (1932-), President of charitable organisations; Extra Lady-in-Waiting to Princess Margaret; wife of 3rd Baron Glenconner; daughter of 5th Earl of Leicester. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Sir (Henry) Roy Forbes Harrod (1900-1978), Economist. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Graham Hill (1929-1975), Racing driver. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- William Hill (1903-1971), Bookmaker. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir Osbert Lancaster (1908-1986), Artist and writer. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait. Identify
- Reginald Maudling (1917-1979), Politician; Chancellor of the Exchequer and Home Secretary. Sitter associated with 17 portraits. Identify
- Sir Jonathan Wolfe Miller (1934-2019), Physician, theatre and opera director and television presenter. Sitter in 29 portraits. Identify
- David Mlinaric (1939-), Interior designer and decorator. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir John Clifford Mortimer (1923-2009), Barrister, playwright and writer. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Sir Eduardo Luigi Paolozzi (1924-2005), Sculptor and graphic artist. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist of 14 portraits. Identify
- Dame Joan Ann Plowright (Lady Olivier) (1929-), Actress. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Robert Wright Stopford (1901-1976), Bishop of London. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Britain 1960-1990
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- NPG 6021 in 360°
- Artists and sitters
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- NPG 5952 in 360°
- Photographer in Focus: Michael Woods
- Paul Tanqueray: Young in the Twenties
- Athletes and Olympians
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Caricatures by Barry Fantoni
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.