The Royal Family
18 of 32 portraits of Prince Edward
The Royal Family
by Patrick Lichfield
giclée colour print, October 1967
16 in. x 12 in. (405 mm x 304 mm) image size
Given by Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield, 2003 in conjunction with the exhibition 'Lichfield: the early years 1962-1982'
Artistback to top
- Thomas Patrick John Anson, 5th Earl of Lichfield (1939-2005), Photographer. Artist associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 30 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York (1960-), Second son of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 38 portraits, Artist of 5 portraits.
- Princess Anne (1950-), Equestrian; Olympian; Princess Royal and daughter of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 129 portraits.
- Prince Charles (1948-), Prince of Wales. Sitter in 163 portraits.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-), Consort of Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 218 portraits.
- Prince Edward Antony Richard Louis, Earl of Wessex (1964-), Third son of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 32 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 952 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
Until 1 March 2020
- Yousuf Karsh
- The Face of Monarchy
- Britain 1960-1990
- Artists and sitters
- 150 Years: The National Portrait Gallery
- The Queen's Golden Jubilee
- Anthony Buckley
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Commonwealth Trail
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Diana, Princess of Wales
- The commissioning process
- Mario Testino: New Acquisitions
- My Favourite Portrait by Tristram Hunt
- Athletes and Olympians